Tuesday 14 May 2013

Hollywood actor Johnny Depp inspires East Grinstead artist




HOLLYWOOD star Johnny Depp has inspired an amateur artist to create a new series of work based on one of his most famous roles.

Amateur artist Joe O'Donovan has produced a collection of Alice in Wonderland paintings splashed with the surrealism associated with Depp and longtime collaborator, director Tim Burton.


And proving he is a cut above the rest, original prints of the artwork now adorn walls at Angelo's Barbers, at London Road in East Grinstead.
The paintings feature some of music's most recognisable faces in the roles of CS Lewis's memorable characters.


The 58-year-old, who took up painting as a hobby 20 years ago, said his style was inspired by the A-list actor's films.
"I saw Alice in Wonderland starring the Johnny Depp a few years ago and did a couple of paintings of characters but then I thought I wanted to include popstars," Mr O'Donovan said.
"I love Tim Burton's work and I think his techniques have influenced what I do. I have always done traditional and fantasy images but with an edge; they are slightly surreal.
"There was a big empty wall at the barbers and I thought it needed filling. I explained I was an artist and what I did and came to an agreement with owner to put the paintings there."
Appearing on Angelo's wall of fame are Debbie Harry as the White Queen and Ozzy Osbourne as the suitably Mad Hatter.
One of the artist's paintings, which is yet to be displayed, recreates the cover of the 1972 David Bowie album The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.


Read more: http://www.thisissussex.co.uk/Hollywood-actor-Johnny-Depp-inspires-East/story-18934423-detail/story.html


Share This!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger · Designed By Blogger Templates